Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2009

First Steps On Journey To Mamelodi...

As your faith is strengthened you will find that there is no longer the need to have a sense of control, that things will flow as they will, and that you will flow with them, to your great delight and benefit.
~~~~~Emmanuel




It's been official for well over a month now. My darling daughter, SG has informed me that she will be traveling with her church; Crossroads, to Mamelodi, South Africa come springtime.

(Mamelodi is a township outside of Johannesburg. Like all townships, the community severely lacks resources and opportunities that are often found in the neighboring urban areas. As we set up in Vusi's backyard and the music began, kids began dancing in the street outside the gate and the community came alive. Once again we witnessed the power of music to raise the spirits of the people who hear it.)
*Photo borrowed from
Playing for Change flicker site*

She's so very excited to be going on this latest mission trip, which in turn makes me excited for her. But I'm also a tad bit apprehensive. South Africa is a bit far for me as a mother to stay here at home and have to worry. Yes, I know... Everyone says, "Don't worry."
But mothers do that. This mother especially.

Several years ago she went on her first mission trip to London, England. Big difference between the two, wouldn't you say? And yes, I worried then as well.

There is one small problem on these first steps to her journey... She needs to raise $4500 for the trip. Wow! That's a huge chunk of spare change.

What to do?

Weeell....You guessed it, I'm writing this to start a "bleg" (for those that don't know, bleg is a begging blog post) for her cause. Why? Because... Because... Because...I love her and I want her to go.

She's started another blog to document her latest mission. Journey To Mamelodi, South Africa. There you will find the link to send a donation (if you so choose) in her name. Oh wait, I didn't give you her name, did I? SG isn't her initials. That's just her nickname for as long as she's been born. Sissy Girl. Her real name is Dana Lynn Honaker.

Now, you can go do the clicky click thing on the donate link! Not only will I appreciate it, I know SG will be ecstatic over any donations given in her name. By the way, all donations are tax deductible. Always a good thing before the end of the tax year, yes?

And for a preview of what she will be doing there, you can watch this from the trip taken in 08.

Before I go, I'd like to thank anyone and everyone who will take that leap of faith with me in supporting my SG! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!



And so it goes......

3 comments:

Kate said...

Hi KY I've just watched the Mamelodi video, it looks like it will be 'a blast' right enough. It's a wonderful thing your daughter and her friends are going to do and probably something she'll never forget.

Sending Love and Best Wishes to you and yours for Christmas. Kate xxx.

dana said...

Wow. Thank you for the post and encouragement, Mom. (And, thank you for the blegging.) It is a lot of money, but I know that God wants me on this trip and in one of our fundraising packets it says, "God doesn't call collect." I'm amazed already at how faithful He is, even when my faith is tiny. I just watched the video again and my excitement and anticipation is renewed!! Even though you're not going with me (and, oh, how I wish you were) you get to be apart of this journey too. I am for loving you. :)

Ky Woman said...

Kate,
doesn't it though? Memories for a lifetime, I'm sure! If I were a bit younger... :)

SG,
You're more than welcome. Just wish that I had more of the green stuff to send so you didn't have to be concerned about it.
Yup, I will be on this journey with you. Not only in spirit, but through you, your pictures and words, I'll be there!!

Wishing you the best time then...

And I'm always for loving you! But you knew that already. =)