Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

The Edification Continues...

Here is the world.  Beautiful and terrible things will happen.  Don't be afraid.
~~~~~Frederick Buechner



 
Whew....

It's been much too long since I've attempted to blog.  Life happens, ya know?  Doesn't mean that I've not been observing what's going on out there.  With all that has transpired in the last few months, it seems best that I keep my opinions and thinking out loud to myself...mostly.

Regardless of the things that have been occupying the minds of many of us here at home, the War on Terror is ongoing.  A while back, I came across a blogger who works in Afghanistan and questions the misconceptions or misrepresentations of the Afghans that some seem to prefer to portray. You can find him here.

Through his latest blog post, he links to a movie that is up for an Oscar as he knows the young man featured in the nominated film.  The movie "Buzkashi Boys" follows the lives of a couple of  young Afghan boys and their dreams of being something other than what is expected of them.  I think everyone could relate to that, right?  It also allows me a brief glimpse into the lives of Afghans, which is something that I'm still in search of.

Oh, speaking of that search.  During the Christmas shopping season that just passed, I came upon a cheap DVD while at my local Best Buy.  The movie 9th Company follows a group of young Russian men who are sent to Afghanistan.  Yes, Russian.  They fought in Afghanistan long before we arrived.  Were they after the same thing as what started our war?  Probably not. Still, I think after watching this one, I had to realize that they aren't so different than we are.  We all pay the price for our countries political posturing.  Some are still paying and many others will have paid with their lives.  Sad, that. 

Anyway, I do hope that there are a few people who read this, though if my sitemeter is correct, not so many readers as much as connections to the images I've posted in the past.  Not so surprising is the search for "sexy men in uniform".  Uhm, yeah.


And so it goes......

4 comments:

Charlie Sherpa said...

I was very pleased to see you post something new on the blog-net! Your recommendations are always useful, and provoke both thought and action.

I will seek out the "Buzkashi Boys," and look forward to checking out the "Hot Milk for Breakfast" blog.

I've variously come across "9th Company" listed as "9th Rota." I seem to recall it was a little intense, sort of like watching Oliver Stone's "Platoon" (1986).

Along with the Midwestern (?) Family Video rental franchises, Wal-mart has been doing a great job of populating its DVD shelves with lesser-known military themed movies, by the way. I found "9th Company" at the former. Mentioned it here:

http://www.redbullrising.com/2010/12/red-bull-film-festival-short-list.html

Keep writing, even if infrequently. It's nice to see your words on the page again!

Lynnis said...

Charlie! Thank you so much for stopping by and even more, for leaving me a few words of your wisdom! I don't know how I missed your film festival post. But hey, somehow I'm reminded of that quote: Great minds think alike. 9th Company was intense. M was able to explain a few of the scenes to me when I had questions. He thought it very realistic. I was more in the mode of compare and contrast with what I perceive our guys doing.
Again, thanks!

Kathi McClenney said...

Yay! it's bout time you posted again! :)

K-Dubyah said...

Awh, Kathi. You know how busy life can get. :)
Though I'm tickled to see that you have a beautiful home that is keeping you away from the keyboard to some extent. There's just never enough time in the day to get it all done, is there?

Thank you for your kind words though... Who knows, I might just keep doing this more often. Or not. LOL